I am professor in the Algorithms and Complexity section of the computer science department at University of Copenhagen, Denmark, and a core researcher at the BARC center for basic algorithms research.
My scientific interests are within
algorithms and data structures, with an emphasis on big data.
I have worked extensively on basic
questions in information retrieval and the role of randomness in
computing, on problems with applications in
databases and knowledge discovery, and on the exploitation of parallelism in
modern computer architectures.
January 2019 to December 2020 I was a visiting faculty researcher at Google Research.
There is a short video in which I talk about my work.
Outside of work, I have a wonderful family that I spend most of my time with (personal info).
- Papers and talks
- Current projects: BARC (Basic Algorithm Reseach Copenhagen) center, Providentia (New! Hiring PhD students and post-docs with start in 2023).
- Current PhD students (at IT University of Copenhagen):
- Graduated PhD students: Christian Worm Mortensen (thesis 2006, now at Akamai Technologies), Milan Ruzic (thesis 2009, now at Microsoft), Rasmus Resen Amossen (thesis 2011, now at Keylane), Andrea Campagna (thesis 2011), Konstantin Kutzkov (thesis 2013, now Data Scientist at Amalfi Analytics), Ninh Pham (thesis 2014, now lecturer in Department of Computer Science, University of Auckland), Morten Stöckel (thesis 2015, now at ZeroNorth), Johan Sivertsen (thesis 2017, now at Alipes), Tobias Lybecker Christiani (thesis 2018, now software engineer at Oracle/MySQL), Thomas Dybdahl Ahle (thesis 2019, now at Facebook), Nina Mesing Stausholm Nielsen (2021, now post-doc at ITU)
- Previous projects: SQERD, 2006-2010 (short summary); MaDaMS, 2011-2014 (short summary), Scalable Similarity Search, 2014-2019.
- Program committees: ICALP 2002, SWAT 2006, ICALP 2006, SWAT 2008, ESA 2008, STOC 2009, IPDPS 2009, STACS 2010, ALENEX 2010, FUN 2010, SSTDM 2010, ESA 2011, PODS 2012, ICALP 2012, PDP 2012, FOCS 2012, MASSIVE 2012, WSDM 2013, PDP 2013, MFCS 2013, PKDD 2013, TIDM 2013, ITCS 2014, WSDM 2014, SDM 2015, ICALP 2016, SWAT 2016 (PC chair), KDD 2016, FOCS 2016, KDD 2017, SISAP 2017, ICDT 2018, PODS 2018, ALENEX 2018 (co-chair), HALG 2018, SOSA 2019, NeurIPS 2019, AAAI 2020, ICML 2020, ICDT 2021, PODS 2021, ICLR 2021, ICALP 2021, ESA 2021 (chair), FORC 2022, TPDP 2022.
- Service: Associate editor, SIAM Journal on Computing, 2019- ; General co-chair, SISAP 2020.
- Invited talks: SEA 2014, ICDT 2015, CPM 2015, ESA 2015, SISAP 2015, ECML-PKDD 2016, MFCS 2017, WADS 2019.
- Internships and scholarships: Unfortunately, I do not take any interns, and may not respond to inquiries about internships. For PhD scholarships, follow me on Twitter to get notified when there are opportunities.
- My ORCID entry.
- Algorithms and Data Structures (AD), block 3, 2022.
- Discrete Mathematics and Algorithms (DMA), block 1 and 2, 2021.
- Approximation Algoriths (APX), block 4, 2021.
- Thesis supervision
- Teaching at IT University of Copenhagen:
Introductory programming, fall 2020,
BSWU first year project, spring 2020,
BSWU first year project, spring 2018,
Introduction to Database Design, fall 2017,
Applied Algorithms, fall 2016,
Advanced Algorithms Seminar, spring 2015,
Algorithm Design II, fall 2014,
EADS Summer Shool on Hashing: Theory and Applications, July 2014,
Advanced Algorithms Seminar, spring 2014,
Algorithm Design II, fall 2013,
MADALGO Summer School on Data Structures, August 2013,
Advanced Algorithms Seminar, spring 2013,
Introduction to Database Design, fall 2012,
Algorithm Design II, fall 2012,
First Year Bachelor's Project, spring 2012,
Introduction to Database Design, fall 2011,
Algorithms and Data Structures, fall 2011
Data Storage and Formats, fall 2010,
Foundations of Computing, fall 2010,
Database Tuning, spring 2010,
Performance and test, fall 2009,
Database Tuning, spring 2009,
Data storage and formats, fall 2008,
Performance and test, fall 2008,
Database Tuning, spring 2008,
Database Tuning, spring 2007,
Database systems, fall 2006,
Databasesystemer, spring 2006,
Advanced Database Technology, spring 2006,
Introduction to Databases, fall 2005,
Advanced database technology, spring 2005,
Databasesystemer, spring 2005,
12-weeek project based on CAOS, spring 2005,
Introduction to Databases, fall 2004,
Advanced database technology, spring 2004,
A database-driven website, fall 2003,
Introduction to Databases, fall 2003,
Advanced database technology, spring 2003,
XML student project, fall 2002.